of THE FUTURE
VENICE, CITY OF THE FUTURE?
"The first anti-Euclidean city and thus a model of a city that has more future ahead of it because it has an extra dimension, that of water." Italo Calvino in conversation with Ivo Prandin “Archetype and utopia of the aquatic city” (1968).
The theme of Venice as the City of the Future will be central to the course, re-interpreted through the medium of cinema ‘In films, one can explore the spaces of the past, in order to better anticipate the spaces of the future’ (Patrick Keiller 2003). ECA offers this unique course to coincide with the Venice Film Festival and to complement this year’s Venice Biennale of Architecture 2023 theme ‘Laboratory of the Future’.
You will begin the program by studying how fiction films have expressed the characteristics of Venice and then move on to using cinematic montage to create your own observational films with a soundtrack. The transferable skills you'll learn will be applicable to your own cities and towns when you return from Venice.
The interdisciplinary program then uses film, moving images and sound to help you understand and explore cityscapes, spaces, places, and social history. Whether you're an undergraduate, postgraduate, or early career practitioner, VENICINEMA will help you expand your research interests in architecture and urban planning.
And then there’s the magic…of attending the ‘Floating Cinema’ on the lagoon and walking the red carpet at the Venice Film Festival.
No previous experience in filmmaking is necessary.
- Participants from a wide range of academic disciplines
- Undergraduates, Master, PhD and Post-Doc students
- Early-years practitioners
UNDERSTANDING VENICE THROUGH CINEMA
UNDERSTANDING VENICE URBANISM
Make a short film
- Tuition: Course Leader, Visiting Lecturers, Professional Experts
- Professional portfolio development
- Assessment and feedback
- Dedicated, equipped studio in a Venetian palace
- Guided visits to museums and La Biennale di Venezia
- Visits to ECC exhibitions
- Field visits in Venice, the lagoon and the wider Veneto
- Organised social occasions
- N.B. Not included: flights, accommodation and food